Skip to main content

How to be Creative and Precise, while Preaching: Step Two, Know Your Text.


Know Your Text.

I get pretty excited when I am given a particular Scripture passage I must preach through for a congregation. Some free willy guys might think they are so how restraint by this manner of preaching, but I really think it gives me a precise target to hit. My goal from the point I am given my text, is to be the expert on that passage when I walk up the pulpit.  How do you become the expert?

Read it multiple times. Yep. Believe it or not, you kind’a need to take the time to read it and I mean out loud. How long does it take to read five or fifteen verses? Am I focusing on a portion of this passage or a particular teaching in a larger portion? I like to read it from the ESV and then turn around and find my kid’s Bible and read it from there as well. Why read it so many times? Simply, because I want to know the passage. I want to know what the author is trying to say and possibly hear it in his voice. Also, why not get a good audio version on your iPhone and listen to the Bible passage read by someone else before you go to bed several times. When you have heard it and have read it many times, you will definitely be confident when you preach it.

Memorize it. Sounds a little ridiculous or is it? Awanas kids memorize two verses and get a plastic toy,…what would it say to your congregation if you read it so many times, that it naturally flows from your lips or in your thoughts as you prepare. What I am not saying is,…standing up on Sunday and sounding like a robot so you can impress the crowd. That is arrogance and just plain distracting…what I am saying is you have it so in your head that when writing the outline or progressive exposition, it flows so naturally because you know where the story is going.

Visualize it. So I am huge visual and auditory learner, but nothing helps me more to expertly learn a passage, but to DIAGRAM the sentences. Yes, I am talking 7th Grade Mrs. Helms class diagraming. No helps, just start drawing your subject, verbs, and prepositions. Suddenly it has simplified the whole passage to a few words, you can see on a single sheet of paper. Last thing, I draw a picture. Ok, you aren’t an artist like me. I got it. You draw stick figures and arrows. Who cares?!?! See if you can actual put the concepts you are talking about through the scrutiny of a whiteboard drawing. Use colors to represent ideas or nouns. Use arrows to show action or movements. As you connect these in your brain,…explain the passage to yourself by just using the imagery.

Teach your kids before Sunday Morning. At the dinner table share the passage in a dinner time sharing time WITHOUT your BIBLE. Talk through the concepts and ideas, or the story. See if you can take the questions and inquisitiveness of young hearts. They quite possibly have never heard any of it. Plus, they see you investing in them, BEFORE the congregation.

Experts are not born, they are developed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying, "I am Sorry." Is Not Enough.

The blood pressure is finally normalizing. Your hands regain heat and your nose is no longer cold. The rush of adenaline has now causing you think a little more rational and you are gaining composure. Words have been said. Doors possibly have been slammed shut. Long rides to the gas station have ended with garage door being shut and both parties are finally breathing normally. THE FIGHT IS OVER.
No matter which side of the argument you are on. This is not the best moment for any marriage or friendship. But what is vital ....what is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL...is not to respond in a minimizing of the situation. What does that look like you might ask?
Resist Statements like: 1. "Sweetheart, I am sorry. But..." 2. "Sweetheart, I am sorry."
3. "It has been a rough week, and I am sorry."
4. "You just made me angry,...I am sorry."
5. "Its ok baby. Let's just don't worry about it."

These statements sound very good on the surface, but can gloss o…

A Military Christmas

A Military Christmas Story By CH (CPT) John L. Craven “Nighthawk Shepherd”
The typical family is pulling out Christmas decorations just as soon as the turkey leftovers are being put up from Thanksgiving. The calendar is filled with rituals and routines that could be decades old. The route from Grandma’s house to the downtown lighting of the town Christmas Tree is streamlined to the minute, in hopes to optimize Daddy’s time to watch every Bowl game in High Definition. Please note: That is typical. BUT….for everyone who wears the uniform or has a family member who does…the TYPICALLY ain’t TOO TYPICAL. This year my wife and I took the Christmas tree box out November 12th. We made the ever evolving schedule to visit our families 1700 miles away. We filled out two sets of LEAVE FORMS as we tried to buy the cheapest tickets home. We have reserved the Kennel for our dog, …which makes us all sad to leave behind. Not to mention, the opening of presents??? Do you open them before the trip or after…

Monday Musings: Being Affectionate During Church

Monday Musings are a simple break from the norms of this blog to address or arm-chair quarterback an issue.


Being Affectionate During Church


As a child I remember my dad sitting pretty close to my mom throughout the service. She would even lean in on him periodically during the sermon and share a Bible. They would even hold hands walking into the sanctuary. This wasn't every Sunday, but I do many remember many young couples would comment that they wanted to be like my parents when they got older as a couple.


So, I have found myself doing the 'yawning-technique' many times to draw Jessica a touch closer during the exposition of God's Word. I often get her hair caught in my arm, and I have to do delicate dance to make sure I don't turn a move of affection into a move torture. However, I grab her hand at times and she rubs my back when I lean forward in the pew to listen. I do not think I am being distracting or feel that I am over doing it either. I love my wife. I l…