Skip to main content

Day 47, Challenge to All Married Men.


I am 34 years old, currently. Since the age of 15 years old, I have driven pretty regularly. My first vehicle was a 1973 Ford F-100, basically a farm truck that we fixed up to suffice my teenage desires to have a 'cool' vehicle. My senior year of High School, I purchased (with the aide of my aunt) a 1992 Sunbird, the dreaded teal that was in style during the early 90's. It served well through my college years, and later on in 2000, I purchased my first New Volkswagen Jetta, TDI. Without any doubt, my favorite car. To wrap up my vehicle buys, Jessica and I sold our cars when we came to Germany, under some poor information flow that our cars weren't ready for the Autobahn,...yet as we arrived we bought a 2008 4x4 Explorer. A very nice ride for the often icy terrain that we experience here in Baumholder.

Now, I say all this to put forward my driving record.
Since the age of 16:

1. 1 Ticket in the Black Truck, for rolling through a stop sign (due to no power steering). (1992)
2. Bumped a lady on HWY 78, at the K-mart intersection in front of South Gwinnett High School, 1994. (she hit the brakes, and put it in reverse in an intersection!!)
3. 1 Ticket in my Teal Sunbird, excessive speeding (I passed a Campus Cop in a merging lane and made him mad,...long story). (1995)
4. 1 Speeding Ticket 2000, in a rental van trying to catch a speeding Singles Pastor who had the map, that I didn't have in my vehicle.

THAT IS IT. Yes, an absolutely clean driving record now for nearly 10 years.

On the other hand,my loving wife, with her verbal permission, I can say does not have the stellar achievement:

Since 2005 (our wedding),
1. Three minor wrecks with inanimate objects, Later 2005, March 2008, and December 2008.
2. One speeding Ticket on Gillom Hill, a common speed trap in Barbourville, KY. 2005.
3. Currently awaiting the Germany, mail-prize for getting the FLASH of a traffic camera,on the autobahn.


What's the bottomline:
Ok. This is not a slam on my wife's ability to circumvent rocks, guard rails, or buildings. Ok, it might be. YET, here's my question: What is the proper response when they come in with tears in their eyes or a shaky voice over the phone saying that they have wrecked the vehicle? Or I think I got a ticket today? There's the right response that wants to ask, "Are you ok?"; second, "Is the car drivable?"; BUT SERIOUSLY,...what is the response? You can't bring her home ground her, or send her to bed with no dinner...or take the keys away?

So, my solution: Blog about it. And Yes, Jessica knows. I asked, she laughed and said...you better write something funny, your blog is been really dry & heavy lately (with a smirk).

So, here' to you my wreckless Euro driver!

Comments

  1. OK, Once you know that no one is hurt,just say "ok". Then later on, use the memory to your advantage at an opportune time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saying, "I am Sorry." Is Not Enough.

The blood pressure is finally normalizing. Your hands regain heat and your nose is no longer cold. The rush of adenaline has now causing you think a little more rational and you are gaining composure. Words have been said. Doors possibly have been slammed shut. Long rides to the gas station have ended with garage door being shut and both parties are finally breathing normally. THE FIGHT IS OVER.
No matter which side of the argument you are on. This is not the best moment for any marriage or friendship. But what is vital ....what is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL...is not to respond in a minimizing of the situation. What does that look like you might ask?
Resist Statements like: 1. "Sweetheart, I am sorry. But..." 2. "Sweetheart, I am sorry."
3. "It has been a rough week, and I am sorry."
4. "You just made me angry,...I am sorry."
5. "Its ok baby. Let's just don't worry about it."

These statements sound very good on the surface, but can gloss o…

A Military Christmas

A Military Christmas Story By CH (CPT) John L. Craven “Nighthawk Shepherd”
The typical family is pulling out Christmas decorations just as soon as the turkey leftovers are being put up from Thanksgiving. The calendar is filled with rituals and routines that could be decades old. The route from Grandma’s house to the downtown lighting of the town Christmas Tree is streamlined to the minute, in hopes to optimize Daddy’s time to watch every Bowl game in High Definition. Please note: That is typical. BUT….for everyone who wears the uniform or has a family member who does…the TYPICALLY ain’t TOO TYPICAL. This year my wife and I took the Christmas tree box out November 12th. We made the ever evolving schedule to visit our families 1700 miles away. We filled out two sets of LEAVE FORMS as we tried to buy the cheapest tickets home. We have reserved the Kennel for our dog, …which makes us all sad to leave behind. Not to mention, the opening of presents??? Do you open them before the trip or after…

My Top 3 Chapters in Scripture.

Top Three's of the Bible.
If you were to ask me what 3 chapters of the Bible have been the most
impacting in my spiritual walk. I would tell you John 3, Romans 3, and
Colossians 3. This Sunday I am actually starting a small series before I
launch back into a continuation of the verse by verse study of II
Corinthians. Each week, I will do my best to show why I love these fine
chapters.
But because many of you will not be able to attend, here is a good summary
of what I am thinking and where I will be heading on this.

John 3
Most people have a bizarre understanding of salvation. They can't figure it
out. What does it mean to be saved? What does it mean to be reborn? What
does it mean that the Spirit goes back and forth? This passage helped me to
understand Jesus' compassion. His sit down 'waffle house' style conversation
with a scholar. His rich wisdom and mystery, which surrounds the simplicity
of the Gospel found in John 3:16. A child can memorize it, but its aroma is
better than …