Skip to main content

My Top 3 Chapters in Scripture.

Top Three's of the Bible.
If you were to ask me what 3 chapters of the Bible have been the most
impacting in my spiritual walk. I would tell you John 3, Romans 3, and
Colossians 3. This Sunday I am actually starting a small series before I
launch back into a continuation of the verse by verse study of II
Corinthians. Each week, I will do my best to show why I love these fine
chapters. 
But because many of you will not be able to attend, here is a good summary
of what I am thinking and where I will be heading on this.

John 3
Most people have a bizarre understanding of salvation. They can't figure it
out. What does it mean to be saved? What does it mean to be reborn? What
does it mean that the Spirit goes back and forth? This passage helped me to
understand Jesus' compassion. His sit down 'waffle house' style conversation
with a scholar. His rich wisdom and mystery, which surrounds the simplicity
of the Gospel found in John 3:16. A child can memorize it, but its aroma is
better than any pipe tobacco. So sweet to know Christ holds our eternity.


Romans 3
How sinful am I? I amuse myself sometimes thinking that I have 'gotten'
better, but it only takes a wipe of the word of God in the foggy bathroom
mirror to reveal how sinful I really am. I don't seek him. I run from him. I
don't understand Him. I am ugly down deep. I deserve full justice to be
served. I have spit in the face of God, and his revealed beauty. AND YET, he
took my place.received in him the full punishment of my 'smiling-hate'. He
then pardoned me of my sins. I stand righteous before God. Nothing but the
blood of Jesus. A sinner made right.


Colossians 3
So, you are a believer and have no idea what to do next. Well, the rest of
your entire life you can live Colossians 3. I have done my best to screw
this up several times, but this is the TRUE NORTH in my lostness in
Christianity. I forget my calling.Colossians 3. I forget my love.Colossians
3. I purposefully desire sin.Colossians 3. I actually get it right for a
season.Colossians 3. In the words of the great Puritan, John Owen, . "If you
aren't killing sin, sin will be killing you." Face it. We suck at being
Christians. We keep the law as good as a crooked Sheriff. We know how to be
right, even enforce it,.but we also know how to sneak around. Thus,
Colossians 3 is written to Christians.

Bottomline: These are my top 3.  I am no stellar Christian. I press toward
THE goal, like it's a trip to go see bad relatives. Yet these TOP 3, have
forever been my bearings of humility and holiness. God grant us all peace in
as we wash ourselves in the Word.


To Josh Stewart and Charles Halton, I regret that I did not include an OT passage here. Yet, I do believe I could do a 3 best of many different Biblical genres. Forgive your NT inclined friend.

Comments

  1. Good ones... If I had to choose, I think John 1 and Romans 8 would be at the top of my list, with #3 being harder to choose. Maybe Psalm 96 or 46; or Isaiah 41, or 52-53 (that's kind of cheating, I guess).

    Good question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My top 3:
    Leviticus 19
    2 Kings 5
    Romans 7-10 (ok not a single chapter but they have to go together)
    Joshua E. Stewart

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 68, A Landmark Day.

About 365 days ago, I was sitting at FOB Falcon in Baghdad, Iraq working of filling out one of the first forms in our adoption. I remember walking to the Chow hall talking to some guys trying to explain that Jessica and I had finally made the first real decision and now it was going to be a long haul before we see some major results. Not to get your hopes up, we did not get a child just yet, but we are definitely at a point in the adoption that needs some celebration. At 0800 this morning, our profile is officially posted at our Adoption Agency Web site, which is where mothers can view our family profile. This sets into motion a major thing for us. For right now, this very hour, we could be receiving a phone call that would revolutionize our family. Within a short period of time today to about 4 months (estimate) we should be matched and possibly flying back to the states to hold the new Craven. How cool is that? Celebrate with us. Also join us in beginning to pray for Jessic

Day 82, Mondays: LOL.

There are a few things that make me laugh out loud. A couple of TV shows, Heidi's antics, Jessica's story-telling...etc. But there is nothing better than having one of those belly laughing moments when you are really needing to just laugh. Laughing is a lot like crying, everyone needs a good one every now and then. So, in light of this thought, I will dedicate my MONDAY EDITIONS to LOL. Things that make me laugh. It might be a joke or two or just a goofy YouTube video, but either way, enjoy. ***************** Things That Make Me LOL. THIS WEEK: Charlie the Unicorn While we have been in the field training, I have had the strong desire to be serious about my work. Going to ranges and seeing soldiers takes up a majority of my time. Later in the evenings, as I have mentioned earlier I space out for just a few minutes and watch a couple of goofy YouTube videos between the meetings.  I stumbled across this, which is quite senseless and stupid...but after 30 days w/o your w

Day 69, Blog Wars of 2010, Craven vs. Craven.

I have had a great number of entries to the blogger thus far and feel that I am getting a little more adventurous in my writing. I have just about set a precedence of daily, leisurely, and thoughtful blogs. A good bit of daily hits... Yet, as most of you know, Jessica has just entered the same arena. I showed her around and then just like Wesley stealing the show from Whitfield, Jessica has decided to strategically steal the lime light. Here's what I have seen in her demise to destroy my empire: I noticed her pulling out blogger maps of recent bloggers. She is constantly trying to foil my writing by bringing me desserts just as I started writing. I also notice her constantly trying to 'be nice' to me when I settled down with a pen and paper to plot my course. The other day I knew something was odd, when she said 'Do you want to play your video games tonight?'...that's just not normal.  After helping her out with the backdrop and HMTL, I figured we had an allia