Skip to main content

Day 16, I love Madden 09, but not the music.

Its absolutely true. I am a junky for playing Madden 09 during the football season. I grab a bowl of Cool Ranch Doritos and kick-off the boots, while simultaneously turning the xbox, awaiting the soothing graphic sounds announcing the churning game inside.

The couch is comfortable. Jessica is typically working in the kitchen, or facebooking while I embrace my 1 hour escape before settling down with dinner. Seconds pass, the screen goes black, then white....then "Eeeee Aaaaa Sports.....It's in the game!" pipes through the Sony Bravia. Chills go up my spine, my eyes widen, my heartbeat quickens...I am so ready to live out my unrealistic Matt Ryan (Atlanta Falcon's QB) dream.

The iconic picture of Brett Favre in a Green Bay Packers jersey still makes me smirk...what a dork (yee-haww for Minnesota Vikings). I told by the screen to . I obediently select.

Then, almost like sinking you teeth into pungent piece of rye bread with an excessive amount of fennel seed, the background music erupts and almost causes one to instantly reach for the remote to 'mute' this bad boy. YIKES! I can't bear it, its not the volume, its the thought that such a successful game has the most ridiculously 'Gangsta-punk-rap-voodoo-mix' soundtrack.

Here's a sample:
Madden Music

Ok. I know this trivial. But, after getting very annoyed, I went through the set-up menu and deselected every song, so I can enjoy my own personal sound track in my head.

What's the connection? Its simple.
Are you even conscious of is the background music in your life? I am talking about the music that radiates around you. The speech that fills your office. The television humming beside your computer. The background music. We often say, "Awww, that junk doesn't get to me, I just put it out of my head. I don't let that get to me." I am reminded of the life that live, and how much I am around soldiers and officers that have incredibly 'rich' vocabularies, sadly most of them are 4 letters and they use them in every part of speech imaginable. (quite gifted).

Yet, I would tell people, that never bothers me, "I am Chaplain." But, I noticed how much when I get angry or I am getting sleepy that these words fill my mind quickly, as 'options' to select to communicate. By the Grace of God alone, have I been able to keep myself from this for the most part.

Bottomline:
Do you really think about what surrounds you? Friends? Music? Etc. Do you have to listen to it all? Can you mute certain things that are truly distracting you or swaying you away from holiness? Just think about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 82, Mondays: LOL.

There are a few things that make me laugh out loud. A couple of TV shows, Heidi's antics, Jessica's story-telling...etc. But there is nothing better than having one of those belly laughing moments when you are really needing to just laugh. Laughing is a lot like crying, everyone needs a good one every now and then. So, in light of this thought, I will dedicate my MONDAY EDITIONS to LOL. Things that make me laugh. It might be a joke or two or just a goofy YouTube video, but either way, enjoy. ***************** Things That Make Me LOL. THIS WEEK: Charlie the Unicorn While we have been in the field training, I have had the strong desire to be serious about my work. Going to ranges and seeing soldiers takes up a majority of my time. Later in the evenings, as I have mentioned earlier I space out for just a few minutes and watch a couple of goofy YouTube videos between the meetings.  I stumbled across this, which is quite senseless and stupid...but after 30 days w/o your w...

Day 69, Blog Wars of 2010, Craven vs. Craven.

I have had a great number of entries to the blogger thus far and feel that I am getting a little more adventurous in my writing. I have just about set a precedence of daily, leisurely, and thoughtful blogs. A good bit of daily hits... Yet, as most of you know, Jessica has just entered the same arena. I showed her around and then just like Wesley stealing the show from Whitfield, Jessica has decided to strategically steal the lime light. Here's what I have seen in her demise to destroy my empire: I noticed her pulling out blogger maps of recent bloggers. She is constantly trying to foil my writing by bringing me desserts just as I started writing. I also notice her constantly trying to 'be nice' to me when I settled down with a pen and paper to plot my course. The other day I knew something was odd, when she said 'Do you want to play your video games tonight?'...that's just not normal.  After helping her out with the backdrop and HMTL, I figured we had an allia...

Day 3, 10 years of John Piper

Its true, I am a Piperite. Here's my story: 10 years ago, I sat down in my lovely rented 'Triple-J' Ranch home with Josh Stewart, and popped in a sermon tape by John Piper. I remember as if it were yesterday. The title was appealing, "Did Christ die for you or for God?". Seemed provocative enough to engage my senses. 10 minutes after it had started, I could barely hold back my thoughts of how this man preached with such authority and seriousness. It wasn't hell fire and brimstone, and it wasn't comic relief. It seemed as though this was his last sermon, and this was the last sermon the audience would ever hear. Every now and then, I would steal a glance at Josh as we listened, and I could tell he was going through the same internal breakdown I was experiencing. Soon after the sermon was over, I made it my goal to read a book by this guy. The Borders I went and got a copy of "Pleasures of God". I began to read, and waves of questions flooded my m...