Skip to main content

Day 24, The Virgin Queen, Elizabeth.


Friday nights in Baumholder Germany, can be quite the challenge for any family. Back in the states you pack up a hot chocolate and head to a Friday Night High School Football game. Not the case here. Therefore, in the Craven residents it typically becomes movie night,...dinner on the coffee table/ Boy Scout popcorn popping / and of course, some Hot Apple Cider.

Now last night we decided on a movie that Jessica and I had no idea about...we were pitted between AMADEUS and ELIZABETH. One was for 9.99 to buy, the other was the 2.99 rental. (We took the frugal route).

After our trip to London 2 months ago, we have been intrigued by the historical significance of the places we visited. For instance, we saw the spot where Anne Boleyn was beheaded ...etc..etc. You get the point...SO, last night we watched the movie, "Elizabeth", a retelling of the last couple of years of her reign in England, as the Spanish Armada was preparing to attack.

I am not a history buff, so watching these movies makes me race to wikipedia to research these events, and atleast get a decent overview of what I have been watching. VERY enjoyable. Costumes were amazing...hair....ridiculously PROM! And if you read the previous blog regarding Jessica and my movie tastes, it matched perfectly.

A great night of stimulating History. Does anyone know any other classic like that?

So, what's the bottomline:
I don't really know. Maybe, Friday Nights are just good times to sit and enjoy the bounty of your labors. Maybe, from time to time, Jesus did take a day and just talk about fishing to Peter or carpentry? I am not Max Lucado, ...careful not to over-emphasize Christ's humanity...but I did enjoy it.

Comments

  1. We watched Apollo 13 last night. While I am NOT a history buff either...I love watching movies that bring about history and make it real to me...Gladiator, Braveheart, etc. I know that they are NOT real...but they paint the picture for me for the time. Now, other movies like Apollo 13 and some of those that are very much based on real events...well, they just top the cake for me. If you haven't seen it in awhile...go back and watch it. Great movie!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 82, Mondays: LOL.

There are a few things that make me laugh out loud. A couple of TV shows, Heidi's antics, Jessica's story-telling...etc. But there is nothing better than having one of those belly laughing moments when you are really needing to just laugh. Laughing is a lot like crying, everyone needs a good one every now and then. So, in light of this thought, I will dedicate my MONDAY EDITIONS to LOL. Things that make me laugh. It might be a joke or two or just a goofy YouTube video, but either way, enjoy. ***************** Things That Make Me LOL. THIS WEEK: Charlie the Unicorn While we have been in the field training, I have had the strong desire to be serious about my work. Going to ranges and seeing soldiers takes up a majority of my time. Later in the evenings, as I have mentioned earlier I space out for just a few minutes and watch a couple of goofy YouTube videos between the meetings.  I stumbled across this, which is quite senseless and stupid...but after 30 days w/o your w...

Day 69, Blog Wars of 2010, Craven vs. Craven.

I have had a great number of entries to the blogger thus far and feel that I am getting a little more adventurous in my writing. I have just about set a precedence of daily, leisurely, and thoughtful blogs. A good bit of daily hits... Yet, as most of you know, Jessica has just entered the same arena. I showed her around and then just like Wesley stealing the show from Whitfield, Jessica has decided to strategically steal the lime light. Here's what I have seen in her demise to destroy my empire: I noticed her pulling out blogger maps of recent bloggers. She is constantly trying to foil my writing by bringing me desserts just as I started writing. I also notice her constantly trying to 'be nice' to me when I settled down with a pen and paper to plot my course. The other day I knew something was odd, when she said 'Do you want to play your video games tonight?'...that's just not normal.  After helping her out with the backdrop and HMTL, I figured we had an allia...

Day 3, 10 years of John Piper

Its true, I am a Piperite. Here's my story: 10 years ago, I sat down in my lovely rented 'Triple-J' Ranch home with Josh Stewart, and popped in a sermon tape by John Piper. I remember as if it were yesterday. The title was appealing, "Did Christ die for you or for God?". Seemed provocative enough to engage my senses. 10 minutes after it had started, I could barely hold back my thoughts of how this man preached with such authority and seriousness. It wasn't hell fire and brimstone, and it wasn't comic relief. It seemed as though this was his last sermon, and this was the last sermon the audience would ever hear. Every now and then, I would steal a glance at Josh as we listened, and I could tell he was going through the same internal breakdown I was experiencing. Soon after the sermon was over, I made it my goal to read a book by this guy. The Borders I went and got a copy of "Pleasures of God". I began to read, and waves of questions flooded my m...