Skip to main content

Day 52, Top Ten of 2009 Memories.


This should be a quick abbreviated list of what I think were the greatest memories of 2009, that I can recollect.

#10, The last chapel service in Iraq, where I completed the entire book of Hebrews. Preaching every single verse for 15 months, while deployed. Over 120 services, and 600 plus counseling sessions.


#9, Sitting on top of my CHU, in Iraq with my laptop in hand and my Chaplain Assistant rotating the satellite dish to eventually get a signal. The laptop eventually erupts with a green bar, and signal, ...thus that night...Jessica and I talked with video for the first time in 5 months over the satellite internet network.


#8, Riding on a riverboat with Mark & Melissa Reid in London with crystal blue skies, with Big Ben and the Tower Bridge slowly passing overhead.


#7, Giving MAJ David Raugh, the final haircut in a barber chair that mysteriously showed up in my office in Baghdad, before he would be promoted to LTC, and leave a couple of weeks prior our departure.


#6, The official sit down in Apartment 8075, 2B after moving from 8061. A cool glass of Culligan water, and the sense that this new abode will be home soon.


#5, Driving with the in-laws and Jessica through Germany, Austria, Italy, France, parts of Switzerland, and who knows where else in the 2008 Explorer.


#4, Getting offered a job at Arlington Cemetery, only to have it 'revoked' months later. Struggle through weeks of disappointment, then receive news for Lifeway that I would be writing for them. Not real sure how to say this, because they obviously are no where near the same 'level', but it was that moment that you knew God was giving you some sunshine in the clouds to let you know that you will make it, and that He hasn't forgotten you.

#3, Riding bikes with my wife up and down the beach in Hilton Head, SC. Not really sure when to stop and turn around, and not really sure how far we came. Who cares!?!? We are on vacation.


#2, The "Welcome Home" party and Banner at my mom's house, in June. My Sister and her children had made a banner, that said "Welcome Home". My mom and Dan, had made a wonderful meal and we just sat around and were thankful that God had allowed me to come see my family after my Iraq tour.


AND FINALLY,

#1, "The Hug". Many of you saw it. Standing in formation after arriving back from Iraq, in a Gym. Jessica was wearing a pink top, (she told me this is how I would see her in the crowd.) The prayer was over, the final "DISMISS" was given. I turned only for about 3 feet to meet my wife face to face. The moment was more than priceless. It was better than, "I DO" on April 23, 2005. It was, "I did it. Let's go home.", May 23, 2009.

Comments

  1. John, you are such an awesome young man. I am so very proud of you and all you've accomplished. If you're ever in South GA, I would love for you to come by and speak to my church. I pray God continues to bless you as you minister for him. Love ya man, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My number one would have to have been when I went to John Craven's Book of Hebrews services and came to know Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Undoubtedly I had a great year. I am a firm believer that God puts people where He needs them. Thank you for being my Chaplain, Teacher and Friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 82, Mondays: LOL.

There are a few things that make me laugh out loud. A couple of TV shows, Heidi's antics, Jessica's story-telling...etc. But there is nothing better than having one of those belly laughing moments when you are really needing to just laugh. Laughing is a lot like crying, everyone needs a good one every now and then. So, in light of this thought, I will dedicate my MONDAY EDITIONS to LOL. Things that make me laugh. It might be a joke or two or just a goofy YouTube video, but either way, enjoy. ***************** Things That Make Me LOL. THIS WEEK: Charlie the Unicorn While we have been in the field training, I have had the strong desire to be serious about my work. Going to ranges and seeing soldiers takes up a majority of my time. Later in the evenings, as I have mentioned earlier I space out for just a few minutes and watch a couple of goofy YouTube videos between the meetings.  I stumbled across this, which is quite senseless and stupid...but after 30 days w/o your w...

Day 69, Blog Wars of 2010, Craven vs. Craven.

I have had a great number of entries to the blogger thus far and feel that I am getting a little more adventurous in my writing. I have just about set a precedence of daily, leisurely, and thoughtful blogs. A good bit of daily hits... Yet, as most of you know, Jessica has just entered the same arena. I showed her around and then just like Wesley stealing the show from Whitfield, Jessica has decided to strategically steal the lime light. Here's what I have seen in her demise to destroy my empire: I noticed her pulling out blogger maps of recent bloggers. She is constantly trying to foil my writing by bringing me desserts just as I started writing. I also notice her constantly trying to 'be nice' to me when I settled down with a pen and paper to plot my course. The other day I knew something was odd, when she said 'Do you want to play your video games tonight?'...that's just not normal.  After helping her out with the backdrop and HMTL, I figured we had an allia...

Day 3, 10 years of John Piper

Its true, I am a Piperite. Here's my story: 10 years ago, I sat down in my lovely rented 'Triple-J' Ranch home with Josh Stewart, and popped in a sermon tape by John Piper. I remember as if it were yesterday. The title was appealing, "Did Christ die for you or for God?". Seemed provocative enough to engage my senses. 10 minutes after it had started, I could barely hold back my thoughts of how this man preached with such authority and seriousness. It wasn't hell fire and brimstone, and it wasn't comic relief. It seemed as though this was his last sermon, and this was the last sermon the audience would ever hear. Every now and then, I would steal a glance at Josh as we listened, and I could tell he was going through the same internal breakdown I was experiencing. Soon after the sermon was over, I made it my goal to read a book by this guy. The Borders I went and got a copy of "Pleasures of God". I began to read, and waves of questions flooded my m...