Ok, I have an Ipod with a ridiculous amount of songs on it. It goes with me to work and working out. Yet, although I like to consider myself an up to date Christian Music guy, I have found the last ten years quite unproductive in many of the albums that I have purchased on Itunes. I might have high standards, I have decided. Here are some of my reasons I don't like most contemporary Christian songs:
1. The lyrics sound like a 80's love ballad by Chicago.
2. Talk a lot about God, but very little about the work of Christ.
3. When they talk about Jesus, he sounds like a guy who's locker is next to yours.
4. The music itself is cheeze, and I really think typifies our generation of 'lack there of' in any artistic skill.
5. Super-Chic. (enough said)
Ok. I will stop with the negativity. There is a reasonable amount that is halfway decent. Over the last 5 years, I have been listening to Sovereign Grace and Indelible Grace music. I am convinced, that they don't have the greatest 'voices', but heck they atleast don't go down the 'easy-listening' super repeating chorus track trail.
Sovereign Grace and Indelible Grace bring to the table: Thoughtful doctrinal anthems, creedal/hymnal themes that I think cause you to think more Biblically than just marshmallow brain teenage pop crap. I think music does matter. And in the short period of time that I have in my car, since I joined the Army, I value each selection to and from PT or PX.
Keep Listening...but what are you listening to?